One evening I had to download an episode of TV series. Thanks to some genorous people residing in NIT Durgapur i was able to find it in DC++ but as i was not an elite user i had to wait in a queue.(for those who don’t know elite user have a user specific login id and password and donot need to wait in queue and the most popular way to become one is by increasing file share) excitement was too high so i decided that i need to increase my share. but how?
Once again open source came to rescue.
Here is a walkthrough guide on how you can modify the source code of DC++ and became the highest sharing guy on LAN.
warning: this guide is meant for people who are using Linux.
1. In the .DC++ folder ( usually present in home directory) you will find a zip file named files.xml.bz2. Unzip it in the same directory.
2. After unziping it you will find a file named files.xml. It contains the list of all the files that you have hashed in DC++. open it using any text editor. here i am using gedit.
3. Now find the file whose size you want to tweak.
4. Now open Hashindex.xml. you will find it in the same directory.
5. Now you need to find the same file that you have tweaked earlier. As you can see the value of TTH attribute in files.xml is same as the value of Root attribute in Hashindex.xml. So all you need to do is copy it from files.xml and search it in Hashindex.xml.
6. Now edit the size in Hashindex.xml. make sure that value in both the files are same.
7. Now save both the files and exit editor.
8. Now compress the files.xml file into files.xml.bz2 in the same directory(~/.dc++) and replace the previous zip file.
9. Now open DC++ and voila you have become the highest sharing guy.
Now Enjoy the rare moment of glory and praise open source.
4 Replies to “How i became the highest sharing person in DC++”
You fraud, cheater 007
aap he se toh seekha ye sabh!
you are my mentor Mr. Sizsaa!
Just exploring Open source